Victor Squadrons from November 1957 to October 1993
No. 10 Squadron: Formed on 1 January 1915 at Farnborough, Hampshire, No. 10 Squadron had been flying Canberra B Mk 2s for four years (including combat operations during the 1956 Suez Crisis) when it was disbanded for the third time in December 1956. It was re-activated at RAF Cottesmore, Rutland, in April 1958 to become the first operational unit equiped with Victor B Mk 1s. It later converted to B Mk 1As and flew these aircraft until it was selected to become the first VC10 squadron. Prior to being disbanded in March 1964, No. 10 Squadron sent a Victor detatchment to tengah, Singapore, as part of the show of force during the confrontation with Indonesia over North Borneo. After being re-formed as a transport squadron and relocated to RAF Fairford, Gloucester, it received its first VC10 in July 1966.
No. 55 Squadron: Formed at Castle Bromwich, Warwickshire, on 27 April 1916, this Squadron was disbanded for the second time in Greece in November 1946. No. 55 Squadron was reformed with Victor B Mk 1As in September 1960 at RAF Honington, Suffolk, but remained in the bomber business for less than five years. During that period, it was one of the four Victor squadrons deployed to the Far East during the confrontation with Indonesia. In May 1965, No. 55 became the first squadron to convert to B(K) Mk 1As. Relocated to RAF Marham, it flew K Mk 2s from July 1975. With these three-point tankers it played an active part during the Falklands conflict in 1982 and in 1990-91 was part of the British contribution to Desert Shield and Desert Storm. Its last K Mk 2s, the final Victors, were retired on 15 October 1993.
No. 139 Squadron: Rather unique among RAF squadrons as it was formed in Italy as a fighter-reconnaissance squadron on 3 July 1918, this squadron converted from Mosquito B Mk 35s to Canberra B Mk 2s in November 1953. After switching to Canberra B Mk 6s, the squadron was disbanded at RAF Binbrook, Lincolnshire, in December 1959. Reformed at RAF Wittering in February 1962, No. 139 Squadron flew Victor B Mk 2s until it was disbanded on 31 December 1968.
No. 232 Operational Conversion Unit: based at RAF Gaydon, the Victor OCU received its first B Mk 1 in November 1957, and its first B Mk 2 in October 1961. It was redesignated the Victor Training Flight on 1 April 1962, moved to RAF Wyton, Huntingdonshire, in 1968, and received its first K Mk 2 in May 1974. It was disbanded on 1 April 1986.
No. 543 Squadron: Formed on 12 October 1942, this squadron flew photographic-reconnaissance Spitfires until being disbanded in September 1944. It was reformed at RAF Wyton in April 1955 to fly Valiants B(PR) Mk 1 strategic reconnaissance aircraft. The Valiants were replaced by Victors SR Mk 2s in May 1965, No. 543 Squadron was disbanded in May 1974.